- Use empty picture frames to create visually striking geometric patterns against a wall.
- A cleverly arranged bookcase can be as pretty as a window view.
- Borrow a trick from interior designers: Inside a bookcase, use paint that’s a couple shades deeper than the room color.
- For maximum pop, try arranging the shelves with solid-colored items, like white ironwork or a vibrant vase.
- Imagine living room shelves as display space for your favorite books, photographs, and family heirlooms.
- Give bathroom shelves an organized look by grouping together like-colored towels.
- Use labeled boxes to house odds and ends without a home.
- Shelve items by type―pots on one level, books on another―for a systematic look to your kitchen.
- A simple arrangement of classics has the order and stateliness of a library.
- Style a bookcase with unexpected items, like an eye-catching antique or a porcelain statue.
- Ordinary items collected in glass jars make an arresting still-life.
- Organizing a colorful collection of found objects makes an offbeat (and inexpensive) alternative to wall art.
- 40 Quirky Shelving Space Savers – Amazing Shelves, From the Upcycled to Intentionally Skewed (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Bright & Colorful Storage and Display (apartmenttherapy.com)